How to Set up VPN Connection in Windows
This is a little VPN configuration guide for Windows using the built-in wizard. The other side of the VPN connection can be a Windows Server with the Routing and Remote Access (RRAS) service enabled.
Let me remind you that VPN is a common protocol that allows you to organize a secure encrypted remote connection of a user to the corporate network via public networks (Internet). The technology is quite complex and requires proper configuration on both sides of the communication tunnel (the VPN client and the server).
Create a VPN Connection in Windows
- Go to Control Pannel -> Network and Sharing Center. You can do this also by typing the search phrase “Network” in the search panel (Win+S).
- Select the “Set up a new connection or network” option.
- Select “Connect to a workplace“, and click Next.
- Select the first option – Use my Internet connection (VPN).
- In the Internet address field, specify the IP address or DNS name of the host that should accept your incoming VPN connection. Also specify the name of this connection.
- Press Create and Done. Now you can close the network settings.
Connect via VPN in Windows
Press Win + I and click on the Network and Internet icon at the top of the panel, which will open the network connections.
Navigate to VPN tab. Here is the list of all VPN connections created on this computer. Select the connection you need and click Connect.
Specify the VPN username and password.
How to change Properties of VPN Connection
Left-click on the VPN connection that you need to edit and select the Additional Properties menu.
Alternatively, go to Control Panel -> Network and Internet-> Network Connections. Open the connection properties of needed VPN connection.
There are a lot of different settings that you need to change in the VPN Connection Properties window depending on the VPN server that you are using or the settings set by your ISP. For example the provider accepts PPTP VPN, in this case we go to the Point to Point Tunneling Protocol ( PPTP ) in Security tab (Dending on the parameters of the VPN server, you may have to set a number of other parameters as well).